Selamat kembali to my page. This time.. I will discuss about drug calculation in drug administration in tablet and fluid. Mari belajar bersama to updated our knowledge. In this website http://nursearegreat.com , they discuss that many nurses are weak with drugs calculation .So as a Malaysian nurses, I expect that we dont want to include in that group of nurses. So in this topic, we will discuss about it and let’s do some exercise.
Calculation of tablet administration
- D (Desired dose)
- H (Dose on hand)
- V (Vehicle-tablet or liquid)
Hx V = Amount to Give
- Example:1) 22mg milligrams of primaquine phosphate prescribed daily. On hand u have 7.5 miligrams tablet. How many tablet u need?
(22mg ÷ 7.5mg =2.93mg= 3 tablet)
2) 30 miligrams nifedipine is prescribed daily.On hand u have 2o miligrams tablet.How manyt ablet will u give?
(30mg÷20mg=1.5= 1 1/2 tablet)
- Okay… Boleh kah anda selesaikan soalan yang lain.. Answer will be given later…
- 3) 1o milligrams isosorbide ntrate is priscribed for 3 hour. On hand u have 5 miligrams tablet. How many tablet do u need?
- 4) 12.5 miligrams of pericyazine is prescribed bd.On hand u have 2.5 miligrams tablet. How many tablet do u need?
5)9.5 miligrams of prazosin hydrochloride is priscribed bd. On hand u have 2 miligrams tablet. How many tablet do u need?
6)On hand u have 2 miligrams tablet. 2.5 miligrams of benztropine mesylate is prscribed. How many tablet do u need?
7) 17.5 miligram of enalapril is priscribed. On hand u have 10 miligram tablet. How many tablet do u need?
8.)0.4 grams of cimetidine is priscribed bd.On hand u have 800 miligrams tablet. How many tablet will u give?
- Ok.. good… Now lets shift to anther formula
- Calculation for fluid medication
- Formula: what do you want? X What its in? = DOSE
- what you’ve got?
- 1.Ordered: Heparin 8000 units subcutaneous q12h
Available: Heparin 10,000 units per ml
How much will you administer?
- Formula: 8000 units X 1 ml = 0.8 ml
Ratio: 10,000 units : 1 ml = 8000 units : x
8000 units X 1 ml = 10,000 units x
8000 / 10,000 = x
0.8 ml = x
Let’s start with exercise
1) 52.5 miligrams of pentazosine hydrocloide qid is prescribed.on hand u have 30 miligrams in 2 mililiters. How many will u administer?
2) 37.5 of fluphenazine 4 weekly is priscribed.On hand u have 50 miligrams in 2 mililiters. How many milliliter will u administer?
3)10 miligram of morphine tatrate 4 hourly is priscribed.On hand u have 400 miligrams in 5 mililiters. How many milliliter will u administer?